Are you looking to brighten your smile? Professional teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments with 14% of the population (45 million Americans) having received this treatment.
But how does professional teeth whitening differ from at-home methods? And why should you consider cosmetic teeth whitening? Here is what you need to know about professional teeth whitening.
What is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Professional whitening is a cosmetic dental service offered by many dentists. The dentist uses bleaching agents to remove the coloration and staining from the enamel of your teeth, to provide a much brighter smile.
Why Should You Consider Professional Teeth Whitening?
Professional teeth whitening offers several benefits over at-home products so that you don’t have to hide your smile any longer.
Professional teeth whitening services result in significantly better color changes than the products you can buy over the counter.
Cosmetic teeth whitening can be done in one or two sessions, compared to weeks or months of at-home treatments.
By having a dentist or specialist perform your teeth whitening service, you can have the peace of mind that the treatment is being completed by a professional.
Teeth whitening services offer long-term results that last for up to three years with proper maintenance.
What to Expect at the Teeth Whitening Appointment?
At your teeth whitening appointment, your dentist will follow the following steps to get your teeth to the desired color:
- Examine your teeth and gums, determining if you are a good candidate for the procedure.
- Determine the current shade of your teeth.
- Polish your teeth with a pumice tool to remove plaque.
- A barrier is used along the gumline to protect it from the solutions
- Apply the whitening solution to your teeth and let it sit for up to an hour. Some treatments require the use of a light which is used at this stage.
- Once the solution has been left on your teeth, your mouth is rinsed. Fluoride can be used to prevent tooth sensitivity.
- Depending on the desired results, additional visits may be necessary.
Then, voila! Your teeth will be brighter and you’ll have a glowing smile.
Once you’ve had your professional teeth whitening treatment, your dentist may recommend steps to ensure your treatment is as successful as possible. These may include:
- Avoiding food or drinks that can stain your teeth, such as red wine or coffee.
- Avoiding acidic foods
- Brushing twice a day and flossing daily to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
- Maintaining regular visits to the dentist for check-ups and cleanings.
- Using a whitening toothpaste to help maintain the whiteness of your teeth.
- Using a straw to prevent staining.
How to Decide if Cosmetic Teeth Whitening is Right for You
To put it simply, if you’re looking for fast, long-lasting results with minimal effort, professional teeth whitening may be the right choice for you. But before you make a decision, speak to your dentist about any potential risks and ask them to explain the process in detail.
Professional teeth whitening is an effective way to brighten your smile and improve your self-confidence. Finding the right place for your teeth whitening service can make all the difference, so do some research and find a dentist that you trust.
Experience a Radiant Smile at Stehl Family Dental
At Stehl Family Dental, we offer the highest quality cosmetic teeth whitening services in a comfortable and relaxing environment. Our experienced team will review your oral health history and examine it to determine if you’re a good candidate for our procedures.
We strive to provide you with the best possible results and make sure your teeth are as healthy as possible. To learn more about our cosmetic teeth whitening services, or to book an appointment, contact us today!